HOW TO BE SUSTAINABLE IN 2021?
“2020 has definitely been a life-changing year for all of us, COVID-19 has taught to protect what’s most important to us. We have learned to be deeply appreciative of our health, and the health of the planet.
we are engrossed in our consumption and its impact on our planet and our wellbeing. In the year 2021 awareness of sustainable living will be significant, Living sustainably means cutting down on single-use plastics, reducing carbon footprints, opting for sustainable products, or behaving more conscious towards consumption.
There is much to look forward to, as is hoped, and public confidence grows. Here are the 10 top tips to be sustainable in 2021.
SUSTAINABLE FACE MASK
USE YOUR VOICE
PRACTICE OVER AND OVER
While in 2020 many of us badly miss the freedom of travel, there is no doubt that there has been a realization that traveling for social prestige should not be what motivates us while planning trips in 2021.
The planet has lower levels of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions due to reduced travel, the pandemic has taught us an important lesson – that travel is a privilege and not a right. It’s hoped that with new air corridors starting up and better testing protocols, trips abroad will start becoming easier again in 2021. BUT as travelers, we must follow some of the vital steps to minimize our own impact on the environment.
Tips for eco travel
- Choose your destination wisely.
- Avoid over-tourism, explore a new destination.
- Choose the accommodation option that holds high sustainability standards.
- Opt for trips that take in multiple locations.
- Engage with local communities.
The pandemic has raised concerns over the impact of our food choices on our health, and sustainability. Opting for a plant-based diet as low in animal products and high in locally grown foods, sustainable crops could be the easiest habits to adopt to revive the planet in 2021. we can encompass a diet that is healthy and can help climate change.
Tips on choosing a plant-based food:
- Seek eco-friendly packaging.
- Choose manufacturers to take up the sustainable cause.
- Consider the Upcycling of packaging.
- Avoid food waste.
- Compost your scraps to return nutrients to the soil.
In the year 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic has also highlighted several important vulnerabilities of our societies and economic system with loss of livelihoods for millions. the temporarily shut down and people staying home has caused small local businesses to suffer. The government is relieving them financially, but Ultimately it’s going to be up to us, to support these businesses.
Local business is essential for our economy and they make our towns special and unique. Most are feeling financially weak right now, and are frightened about the future. But if you have the option consider the local product to promote their business.
Tips on buying local :
- The urgency to buy something, try your local store first.
- Try ordering from your favorite local restaurant at least once a week.
- If you discover a unique promotion from a local business, share it online or on your social media channels.
There is a risk that mobility will simply return to the previous norm of traffic jams, an increase in carbon footprint, and air pollution. To be sustainable in 2021 it will be essential to maintain flexible working schemes with less commuting, even after most workplaces reopen.
Tips on smart transportability:
- Choose e-bikes or e-cars.
- Opt for extended walkways.
- Seek smart mobility apps can help people link up different modes of transportation.
People were fed up being confined to their homes in 2020. while with new hope of a sustainable recovery should start in 2021 means major refurbishments need to consider to save energy.
Tips on Sustainable buildings :
- Go for improving insulation,
- Pick improve heating (and cooling) systems and
- Switch fuels from coal, gas, and oil towards renewable energies such as wind and solar.
Sustainable face mask
Wearing face masks is now part of the new norm as this will help to prevent the spread of any infection. The use of disposable masks, gloves, and other protective equipment soars and impacts the environment. Refocus on 2021to the plastic pollution issue, and remind that every individual needs to address the problem of plastic pollution. If you’re looking for ways to care for your health, opt for natural, organic, and sustainable mask.
Tips on buying a sustainable face mask:
- The reusable material used to make a face mask protects both you and the planet. It’s important to note that organic or sustainable face masks are not the same as medical-grade masks in terms that catch smaller particles and preventing leakage.
- Choose face masks made of silk, cotton, hemp, deadstock fabric, and other sustainable materials.
During the pandemic, consumption of single-use plastics including takeout and delivery of food is estimated to have increased. To live sustainably in 2021 we have to reassess to reduce single-use plastics and plastic disposables.
Tips on reaccess on disposable:
- Instead of using single-use plastics to store food, use containers that you can use over and over again to help reduce waste.
- opt for recyclable or compostable containers for to-go orders.
One of the negative impacts of covid 19 is the reduction in recycling and the increase in waste. It’s time to get back to the basics with the fact that The fact is that recycling makes a bigger impact than other sustainable practices. Recycling is the third-best waste management option after reducing and reusing. This is because energy and resources are needed to reprocess the waste before the materials can be used again.
Tips on Recycling
- Segregate your waste
- Buy a product that can be recycled
- Special care should be taken while recycling certain wastes like electronics
- Wash food waste off of any plastic or glass food containers before putting them in the recycle bin.
Use your voice
One of the best things you can do for the Planet is to get politically involved in your community. Sign and share action alerts, webinars, attend events, and talk to your friends and neighbors about sustainable living and overconsumption.
Tips on using your voice:
- Vote for environmentalist candidates.
- Urge your representatives/leaders to pass stronger policies to reduce carbon footprints.
Practice over and over
Once you have learned how to educate yourself on sustainable living you only need to practice. the right practice methods can accelerate you to the level of expertise in a matter of months.
Tips for Practicing Sustainable living :
- Immerse yourself in groups of people who are sustainable living followers.
- Don’t be afraid to make a mistake.
- Patience is a Virtue.
Any of these tips would be a great way for you and your community to start living more sustainably. Try one of them out and continue to be more sustainable each day to help save the environment.